HVAC Prediction Software for a Cost-Limited Home ThermostatTechnology #ua13-095
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
- Xiao Qin Graduate Research Assistant, Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Susan Lysecky Assistant Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Jonathan Sprinkle Assistant Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Managed By
- Robert Sleeper Licensing Manager (520) 626-4604
Title: HVAC Prediction for a Cost-Limited Home Thermostat
Invention: This technology interacts with a homeowner’s heating and cooling system to provide a cost-effective HVAC prediction. Employing algorithms, software and hardware, this technology interprets budget and cost inputs from the homeowner and provides comfort suggestions that fit those budget parameters by correlating temperature with cost. This technology operates on an easy to use iOS software platform, simplifying the process for the homeowner who is looking to cut costs on their heating and cooling bills while maintaining comfort levels.
Background: Today’s HVAC and thermostat systems are highly programmable, allowing homeowners to set different temperatures depending on the time of day. However, these systems do not take in to account how those changes are affecting your heating and cooling bill. This technology has the benefits of standard programmable thermostats while also providing homeowners with the ability to help heat and cool their home depending on their current budget.
- HVAC and home thermostat systems
- Potential to be utilized in larger commercial buildings
- Correlates temperatures to costs
- Gives temperature suggestions based on budget
- Provides savings on heating and cooling bills