AnimalWatch App for the iPadTechnology #ua14-009
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
- Thomas Hicks Research Programmer, Computer Science
- William Mitchell Research Programmer, School of Information: Science, Technology and Arts
- Jane Strohm Researcher, School of Information: Science, Technology and Arts
- Mark Grandi Student Group B, School of Information: Science, Technology and Arts
- Carole Beal Professor, School of Information: Science, Technology and Arts
- Managed By
- Lewis Humphreys Licensing Manager (520) 626-2574
A version of AnimalWatch for the iPad posing science-based math problems at the middle school level.
AnimalWatch is a software based math tutor presenting math word problems to students. Students using AnimalWatch have been shown to improve their math skills as much as students who receive private tutoring. The questions are based around science topics and are designed to prepare students to take algebra. Current versions of AnimalWatch rely on an Internet connection, and may not be compatible with tablets due to screen size differences and current schemes of interaction. Creating a tablet specific version would solve these problems while allowing students to work at home without the stress of the classroom environment.
- Students using AnimalWatch in the classroom can continue learning outside of the classroom with an already familiar application.
- Students further their knowledge of science by learning about endangered and invasive species.
- The app will be functional even when an Internet connection is not available.
- Colorful images within the app increases student engagement, possibly fostering an interest in STEM fields.
- As iPad use of the app can continue at home, parents can monitor their children to see they are learning the material.
- Prepares middle school students for taking algebra classes.
- Provides an alternative to a private math tutor.
UA Technology ID: UA14-009
Inventors: Carole Beal, Mark Grandi, Jane Strohm, William Mitchell, Thomas Hicks
Licensing Manager: Lewis Humphreys