Gene Expression Predicts Seizure Outcome Following Temporal Lobectomy (Addendum)

Technology #ua14-021

Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager

Download Printable PDF

Categories
Researchers
Martin Weinand
Professor, Surgery
Matthew Gallek
Assistant Professor, Nursing
Jesse Skoch
Clinical Assistant VI, Surgery
Managed By
Rakhi Gibbons
Asst. Director, Life Sciences (520) 626-6695

Background:

Epilepsy is one of the most common neurological disorders, affecting approximately affecting 2 to 4 million people or 1% of the U.S. population. Although anti-seizure medication can control seizures for approximately 80% of patients, the remaining 20% of patients may consider surgical intervention for epilepsy treatment of their epilepsy. The most commonly performed operation for treatment is amygdalohippocampectomy with or without anterior temporal lobectomy (AH/ATL). However, between 52% and 84% of patients that have surgical intervention have remission of seizures, including patients who undergo ATL/AH.  

Invention:

This novel technology offers the first evidence for predictive value of temporal cortical gene expression for seizure outcome after epilepsy surgery. The function of the present invention identifies genes that may provide prognostic data for predicting which patients will continue to have seizures and those who will have remission of seizures following ATL/AH.  

Application:

This invention provides an opportunity for the development of epilepsy diagnostics in the form of genomic biomarkers with predictive value for individual patient response to neurosurgical operative intervention, including epilepsy surgery, anti-seizure medication and/or diet modification therapy. Importantly, this would allow clinicians to make more appropriate clinical decisions reaching which epilepsy patients are best suited for various surgical and non-surgical treatments. In addition, the invention may be used to develop gene therapies that modulate the identified genes.  

Advantages:

The idea of using “neurosurgical genomics” represents an exciting and breakthrough paradigm for selecting ATL/AH candidates with medically intractable temporal lobe epilepsy. Future gene therapy for temporal lobe epilepsy may be therapeutic based on modification (up- or down-regulation) of the expression of the additional genes identified by this invention and others which are known to have or may be found to have predictive value for seizure outcome following ATL/AH.  

Lead Inventor:

Dr. Martin Weinand

Licensing Manager

Rahki Gibbons

RakhiG@TLA.arizona.edu

(520) 626-6695   UA ID: UA14-021