Video Image Based Bed Load AnalyzerTechnology #ua14-133
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
- Guohong Duan Associate Professor, Civil Engr and Engr Mechanics
- Managed By
- Robert Sleeper Licensing Manager (520) 626-4604
This instrument enables the automation and accurate measurement of bed load transport rate using modern innovations in digital images, processing, and wireless technologies. Its novelty allows for analysis of sediment transport without collecting actual samples.
Current methodology measures bed load sediment by grabbing samples of river bottoms physically, either by mechanical scoops or sediment traps. There is no current feasible way (inexpensive, accurate, automatic etc.) way to measure bed load especially in large non-wadable rivers. Current methods are not ideal especially in large rivers where river beds are not accessible to place flumes.
- Civil Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Geology, Hydrology
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Environmental Conservation (Water, Wildlife, and River Conservation)
- Dams, Rivers, Streams, Lakes etc.
- Real-time automatic bed load sediment sampling that doesn’t require human inference
- Data can be achieved instantaneously in remote computer, and can be operated remotely
- Feasible for deployments in large rivers with deep water or small creeks
- Filling the data gaps that are challenging river monitoring by governmental or non-profit agencies all over the world
- The instrument is accurate and reliable and much cheaper than the old fashioned method.
Guohong (Jennifer) Duan
Licensing Manager, College of Engineering
University of Arizona, Tech Launch Arizona