Systems, Methods, Devices and Materiel for Definition, Monitoring and Modulation of Organism StrengthTechnology #ua16-024
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
Title: Health Behavior Change Training Program (Reach)
Invention: An in-person workshop and website that provides information and training for “helpers” and/or complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) practitioners aid individuals in changing harmful health behaviors, including tobacco cessation. The training, associated with CAM, focuses on “helping conversations” that avoid confrontation and emphasize intervention on the part of individuals' social networks.
Background: Some behavior cessations programs tend to underutilize the power of social networks. In addition, in 2007, nearly 40% of U.S. adults reported using some form of CAM in the past 12 months. At this time few efforts are being made to engage CAM practitioners in public health programs. The Reach training programs for “helpers” and CAM practitioners seeks to address these gaps in public health training for behavioral change.
- Public health
- Tobacco cessation
- Behavioral change
- Utilizes “helping conversations”
- Emphasizes support for behavior change
- Avoids confrontation or nagging
- Based on unique knowledge resulting from a 15 year study and training of health influencers
- Includes input from a panel of internationally recognized CAM researchers and educators
- Integrates conventional biomedicine and CAM with tailored approaches that take advantages of unique CAM training and backgrounds