Control of Boundary-Layer Transition for Hypersonic FlightTechnology #ua16-059
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
Title: Methods to Control Hypersonic Boundary Layers
Invention: The invention provides techniques to control the nonlinear phase transition of laminar-turbulent flow in hypersonic boundary layers while reducing negative effects on the vehicle while in the transition region.
Background: Generally, there is a large amount of friction and heat transfer during transition, which can compromise multiple aspects of the vehicle experiencing these hypersonic speeds. Based on the physics of laminar-turbulent transition in hypersonic boundary layers, this invention seeks to address this issue. It was found that the nonlinear transition region was extended in the downstream region compared to the low-speed case, which resulted in unwanted levels of friction and heat.
- Industrial production
- Military research and development
- Reduces negative effects on the vehicle such as friction and heat transfer
- Controls the nonlinear phases of transition in hypersonic boundary layers
- Improves the ability to apply a specific flow to a vehicle
- Potential to increase aerodynamic performance and flight stability
Robert Sleeper, J.D.