Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
Title: Compact Spectrometer Apparatus, Method, and Applications
Invention: Researchers at the University of Arizona have design an microspectrometer that is very compact and directly interfaces with CMOS sensors; reducing the form factor greatly compared to current micro-spectrometer technology. The microspectrometer is 3D printable, thus reducing the cost of manufacturing to under $100 per unit.
Background: There is an abundance of spectrometer technology, for various spectroscopic applications. Although micro-spectrometers have been developed for specialized markets such as for DOD and Astronomical applications, those systems are relatively expensive. There is a a need and strategic opportunity to produce smaller, cheaper micro spectrometers within the commercial, energy and medical industries.
* Can be attached to the sensor directly
* 3D printable
* Can be embedded in smart phone
* Gas analysis in hospitals
* Characterization of proteins
* Near infrared spectroscopy for oil drilling
* Spectroscopy for astronomical observations
* Terrestrial atmospheric gas composition analysis
* Monitoring dissolved oxygen content in freshwater and marine ecosystems
Contact: Amy Phillips
Refer to case number UA17-127